Monday, January 31, 2011

Make your own spill-proof snack container.

I had saved a couple of empty boxes of cashews and today I finally figured out what to do with one of them. When Matthew was younger we had bought a spill-proof snack container, so I thought I would make one for Grace. 
I started by stripping the box.
Then using ModPodge, I glued a comic strip around the box and applied a generous coat of ModPodge to it.
While I let it dry, I cut an opening on the lid so our cutie pie can fit her hand through it and reach for those yummy snacks.
I will allow plenty of time for the coat of ModPodge to dry and I will have it Grace tested and approved!!!
I did sand the cuts to smooth them and avoid scratching her little hands. She has been using it with no trouble.

15 comments:

sarah weaver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah weaver said...

I love this!! My son just lost his snack container that we bought from the store. I think I am going to make one of these now! TFS

I found you on modpodgerocks facebook

~Isabel said...

LOVE this! And you don't have to pay $9 for an empty container, either!

I found you via modpodgerocks on FB, too!

Unknown said...

Jerome, this is awesome! Great idea!

LaLasha said...

great idea it is just that the plastic top could scratch their little hands when they reach in or are pulling their hand out I think some sugru would help solve that problem

Unknown said...

love this idea, I have also paid for a couple only to have the kiddos throw them overboard! Do you think they could be washable?

To the previous poster, that plastic is pretty soft and flexible, I don't think it would hurt. What's sugru, though??

DaddyO said...

I actually sanded the cuts to smooth them out and Grace has been using it without trouble.

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

This is cool! I linked up at Dollar store mom: http://dollarstoremom.com/2011/03/make-a-snack-dispenser/

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so smart! Not to mention cute. Heather of Dollar Store Crafts emailed me about this and I'm so glad she did. I would love to link to your fridge if you didn't mind.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

And by fridge I mean container. =) These food-related projects are making me hungry!

DaddyO said...

Thanks for the comments.
Feel free to link to any posts on my blog.

Unknown said...

Awesome! We have one of these, but I never thought of making my own. How cool! I'd love to have you share this at my For the Kids Friday link party! Come join the fun!

Michelle L. said...

Great idea, and nice tip about sanding the edges - would never have thought of that!

Tanya said...

That is a great idea!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this at last week's For the Kids Friday link party! This week's party is up and running. If you haven't already stopped by, I'd love to have you sharing again this week!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/04/for-kids-friday-6.html

:)rachel