Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mother's day project: From Dollar store find to personalized charm bracelet.

On my last trip to the Dollar tree, I had picked up a 12 pack of dice. I didn't really know what I was going to do with them but I knew I would come up with something.
Sure enough a few days later I decided to personalize a dice with some pictures of the kids. Because of the size of the dice, I had the pictures printed on a small scale (9 pix on a 4x6). With a utility knife I cut the pictures to fit the face of the dice and I glued each one using Mod Podge. Once dry, I applied a coat of Dimensional Magic on each side leaving each side to dry over night (yes, it's time consuming but well worth it!). When all the sides of the dice were complete I glued a Y bail to a corner. I do not have pictures for each steps because of some camera issues but here are a few shots of the finished product.










I decided to make a charm bracelet for Eileen for Mother's Day and the dice will be one of the charms. Since Eileen and I like to play Scrabble, the other charms will be 3 Scrabble tiles with our Children's initials. I glued an Aanraku bail on the back of each tiles with superglue. For the bracelet used some "Natural Chic" rubber thread. I looped it three times and used some small jump rings to hold it together. To close the bracelet, I heated the ends and "soldered" them together. All I need now is a nice gift box.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jerome, this totally rocks! Your wife is going to love it - she's going to be so impressed. :D

Jenna said...

What a great idea!!!!!

The Creative Chickadee said...

Love this!! It even resembles the new "piano" string bracelets that are so big right now. Great job.

DaddyO said...

Thank you all for the nice comments.
Can't wait to give it to her.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Another great thing to do with the Scrabble tiles is to decoupage the pics to the blank side.

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Those are so neat!